Le tour 2017 Recipes – The Rice Tart
The rice tart (pie) or “dorêye” in Liège wallon is prepared with short rice, sugar and, if you want to respect the tradition, with cow’s milk.
For more than 20 years, the Seigneurie de la Vervi-Riz, a member of the Union of Gastronomic Folklore Groups of the Province of Liège, has made it a point of honor to convey the image of this delicious specialty.
* 135 gr of broken rice (or round)
* 1 liter of whole milk
* 185 gr of crystallized white sugar
* 1 cinnamon stick (or cinnamon powder)
For the dough:
* 100 gr of flour
* 5 cl of water (or milk)
* 5 gr of yeast powder
* 2.5 gr of crystallized white sugar
* 2 gr of salt
* 30 gr of butter
For garnish :
* 1 egg
* 1 egg yolk
Preparation of the tart in 3 simple steps:
1. Rice: Heat the rice in a double boiler and bring to a boil. Pour the rice into the milk and mix regularly for one hour. Place the cinnamon stick or cinnamon powder in the saucepan and add the sugar. Mix regularly for 30 minutes. Once the rice is consistent, place in a container and set aside in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
2. The dough: Place the flour, yeast and milk in a large bowl. Work the mixture with your hands for about 20 minutes. Leave to stand for 10 minutes. Then add sugar and salt and mix again for about 20 minutes. Then add butter and stir for a few minutes. Make a ball of dough and let stand for about an hour under a wipe at room temperature.
3. Preparation of the rice pie: Heat the oven to 240 °. Lower the dough using a pie roller. Coat a fat tart mold and place the dough. Put a whole egg in the rice and mix by hand. Pour the rice over the dough and even the surface. Brown the top of the pie with the egg yolk with a brush. Place the pie for about 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Once the pie is out of the oven, let it rest a few hours before tasting it. A successful rice pie must be drooling!
Accompanied by a good cup of coffee, it is a treat …
Enjoy your meal !