Poulet Sauté Alice
Escoffier’s Poulet Sauté Alice is a simple recipe that will bring a smile to your face as it requires minimum effort and will bring maximum joy to the table. Sautéed chicken in butter served with a creamy mushroom sauce flavoured with white wine, cognac and mushrooms.
For 4 people:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 chicken thighs
- 1 shallot
- 100 grams / 3.5 oz button mushrooms
- 40 grams / 1.4 oz butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 100 ml / 3.5 fluid oz dry white wine (sauvignon blanc, Muscadet or a simple pinot gris)
- 100 ml / 3.5 fluid oz brown stock (reduced). To do so take 200 ml or 300 ml of brown chicken stock and let it boil down to 100 ml.
- 20 ml / 3 tablespoons cognac (yes, you need it).
- 100 ml / 3.5 fluid oz to 150 ml / 5 fluid oz best quality cream (called heavy cream in some countries).
- Salt and black pepper for seasoning.
Cooking time: chicken thighs take around 25 minutes to be cooked and chicken breasts around 15 minutes. Serve with rice, pasta (tagliatelle) or green beans for the health conscious.
My thoughts on some things):
- Adding all of the butter and chicken juices that sit in the plate or tray you used to reserve the chicken back into the pan when making the sauce will bring an explosion of buttery chicken flavours.
- Making your own stock is always best.
- Only adjust the seasoning at the end.
- If you want a “wow” factor or to impress guests add a tablespoon of cognac in the sauce just before serving.
- On a medium heat, warm the butter and a tablespoon of oil in a pot until the butter melts.
- Salt the chicken pieces a little and place them skin down into the pot – the pieces need to fit into the bottom of the pot. Increase the heat to a higher medium and leave the pieces to colour for 8 to 10 minutes, after which turn them over and cook for a further 10 minutes approximately, until the breasts are cooked.
- Reserve the meat on a tray, pour the butter in the pot over the 4 pieces, cover them with foil and keep them warm in the oven at 70 C (160 F) (fan forced oven).
- Quarter the mushrooms and cook them together with pepper and salt in oil on a medium-high heat until they are slightly coloured.
- Warm the empty pot and on a high heat add the chopped shallot and mushrooms. Let them colour a little and then add the wine and cognac and deglaze the pot. Continue cooking to reduce the liquid by half. Add the pepper and then the reduced stock (see above in the ingredients list) and reduce the liquids again by about a third.
- Stir in the cream – up to 150 ml (5 fluid oz) depending on taste. Remove the chicken thighs from the oven and add to the pot to cook on a low heat for a further 10minutes.
- Return the breasts to the pot and warm for 2-3 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve (if desired, the sauce can be further reduced once the chicken has been removed from the pot).
Serve with: rice, pasta (tagliatelle). potatoes or green beans for the health conscious.
Cooking time: chicken thighs takes around 25 minutes to be cooked chicken breast around 15 minutes. Serve with rice, pasta ( tagliatelle) or green beans for the health conscious. My “grain of salt” (meaning telling my opinion on some things): Adding all of the butter and chicken juices that sits in the plate or tray you used to reserve the chicken back in the pot when making the sauce will bring an explosion of buttery chicken flavors. Making your own stock is always best. only adjust the seasoning at the end. if you want a wow factor or impress guests add a tablespoon of cognac in the sauce just before serving.
Poulet Sauté Alice video recipe tutorial: