Madeleines: secrets to get them perfect
The cake that inspired Proust
If you have you ever wanted to know how to make the real and authentic looking french madeleines then this recipe is for you. in order to get those perfect looking little madeleine cake you need know a few little secrets, use the right madeleine and have a recipe that works. and this is exactly what I have prepared for you.
This madeleines recipe is for the plain madeleines, but once you master this recipe you can start adding extra flavouring like lemon or orange zests, chocolate nuggets, jam, nuts and vary the size. Small madeleine, large madeleines and so much more. So just use your imagination and start inventing news ways on making delicious madeleines cakes at home.
Did you know:
Madeleines are one the most famous French little cake there is and have been mass produced since the end of the 19th century and became really popular during the second world war.
- Utensils I used: Madeleines pan ( 12 unit) https://amzn.to/2GOyS0r
- Soft balloon whisk: https://amzn.to/2LvXj66
- Strainer: https://amzn.to/2GNp2fj
- Pyrex Bowl: https://amzn.to/2INpiww
- Pastry brush: https://amzn.to/2J2JwFR
Ingredients needed to make 12 French Madeleines:
Cooking time: 10 minutes
● 100 grams of plain flour
● 3 grams of baking powder
● 100 grams of butter
● 1 squeeze of lemon juice
● 2 whole eggs
● 100 grams of caster sugar
● 20 grams of honey
- Break the eggs in a large bowl.
- Pour the sugar then whisk slowly for 1 minutes.
- add the honey and keep whisking for another 3 minutes( until you get a white foamy mix)
- Melt now the butter in as small sauce pan and when melted, add a squeeze of lemon juice, a pinch of salt and let it cool down on the side of your stove.
- sifter now your flour and baking powder in your bowl (over you egg and sugar mix) and whisk slowly until all the flour is incorporated.
- As soon as this is done pour all of the melted butter in your bowl and whisk again until you get a nice uniform and smooth batter.
- leave now the batter to rest for at least 2 hours at room temperature.
Cooking the madeleines:
- Coat your Madeleine pan with melted butter and add a generous spoon of batter in each mold (leaving a bit space free to allow each madeleine to grow when baked.)
- cook the madeleine for 10 minutes starting on high heat at 220 celsius for the first 3 minutes then reduce the heat to 200 degrees bake for a further 6 to 7 minutes.
- as soon as the madeleines are cooked, take them out of the oven, leave them to cool for a few minutes. remove from the mould and serve while they still warm.