Macarons (the old fashioned way)
Old fashioned macarons existed before the modern Parisian style and they are simpler to make. All you need to do is mix 3 ingredients in a bowl with a spoon.
- 100 grams almond meal
- 200 grams granulated white sugar
- 60 grams egg white
Cookware: 1 wooden spatula, 1 large bowl, a piping bag with a straight tip (1.5cm / ½ inch wide), a macaron silicon mat (or just a piece of baking paper on a baking tray), a pastry brush.
- Place the almond meal and the sugar into a bowl and blend together with a flat wooden spatula.
- Pour in the egg whites and again with the spatula and pressing hard on it, mix until a paste is formed.
- Put the paste into a piping bag and pipe it onto a silicon mat in small mounds (For this recipe a 1.5cm / ½ inch diameter tip was used).
- With a pastry brush, dab water on each mound and try to flatten the mounds so that they are all the same height.
- Preheat a conventional oven to 180C (365F) and when that temperature is reached bake the macarons for 15 minutes.
- Serve as they are as a biscuit, or you may place one on top of another, using a filling such as chocolate ganache, butter cream or jam
Macarons video recipe: