Macaroni and Cheese French style
Macaroni and cheese or Mac and Cheese is a world famous recipe that exist all over the planet, france included. and as you would expect, yes, the French version is somehow different. however, I believe that it is really great to have a version from every country to be able to try it out for yourself and see what the differences is.
For this recipe you will need:
- 250 grams of macaroni pasta
- 300 ml of heavy cream/pure cream/ full fat cream (name varies between countries)
- 200 ml of Full cream milk/ whole milk
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- salt and peper to taste
For the topping:
- 300 grams of grated cheese
- 1 Tomato (sliced)
- Start by cooking the macaronis in a large sauce with boiling water and salt.
- While the pasta are cooking put a saucepan on medium heat and pour in the cream, milk, nutmeg salt and peper and bring gently to the boil.
- Once the milk and cream mix boils and the pasta are cooked transfer the milk an cream mix in a large bowl and the cooked pasta on top. mix well and leave to rest for a few minutes.
- while the pasta mix is resting coat a large baking dish with butter ( the dish we you will useto bake the macaronis) then sprinkle some finely sliced garlic all over the bottom of the dish.
- when done heat your oven to 180c /356 f
- next pour all of the macaroni mix in the baking dish, season with salt and peper add grated cheese and top up with a fewsliced of freshly sliced tomoatoes.
- Finally bake the macaronis at 180 c 356f for 30 minutes.
- you can eat that dish on its own but usually in france this is serve as a side with chickent or various stews.