How to make Poulet au vinaigre
Today we learn how to make the French bistro classic, poulet au vinaigre (creamy chicken in vinegar sauce). This is a classic recipe from city of Lyon which is known as the gastronomical capital of France. The dish consists of sauteed chicken cuts cooked in a sauce made with red wine vinegar, white burgundy wine and home made chicken stock.
When the sauce is done the acidity level is adjusted by adding a generous serve of cream. The result? A one of a kind tangy, creamy chicken recipe.
Can be served with
- pilaf rice
- macaroni gratin
- pan fried green beans
You can also drink the wine you use to make the sauce so make it a good one. Ideally, a maconnais wine or white burgundy.
Ingredients for the poulet au vinaigre
- 8 pieces of chicken (breast , legs and thighs)
- one chicken liver ( optional)
- 1 medium sized onion roughly chopped
- 1 shallot roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 table spoons of freshly chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 400 ml of liquid cream (heavy whipping or double cream)
- 500 ml of chicken stock
- 400 ml of white burgundy wine
- 200 ml of red wine vinegar (or tarragon vinegar)
- Salt and pepper to season the meat
- 1 tablespoon of butter and oil to cook the meat
Mise en place (food preparation)
- Start by making the white chicken stock (or else use good quality stock cubes in water mixed with a few chicken wings half a carrot an half an onion and some thyme)
- wash peel and cut the onions, shallot and garlic. weigh your liquids ( wine and cream) and have all the other small ingredients ready. have your pieces of chicken seasoned with salt and pepper and ready to be cooked on a plate.
Pre-cook the chicken:
- On a medium heat, add a table spoon of plain unsalted butter in a large skillet or dutch oven. as soon as the butter foams, add the chicken pieces skin side first and saute them ( on each side) until they have light golden color. when done reserve in a dish and cover.
- add all of the onion, garlic and shallots the pan you used to cook the chicken and leave to cook on low heat for 2 or 3 minutes. add the tomato paste and leave to cook for 30 seconds. raise the heat to high, add the vinegar and reduce to a syrupy consistency. add the wine and leave to boil for 1 or 2 minutes. when done add stock and reduce for 10 minutes.
Cook the chicken:
- reduce the heat to low add the thyme and the tarragon leave ( I used sage in the video) the chicken pieces to the sauce you just made and leave to chicken to cook in the sauce ( the pan has to be covered) for 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size of your chicken pieces.
- when the chicken pieces are cooked, take them out and reserve in a dish. ideally you want to cover the dish to keep the chicken warm.
Finish the sauce:
- Add all of the cream to the sauce and leave to reduce for a good 15 minutes or more.(you can also a minced chicken liver now too but it is optional). note that the cream needs to be reduced until it reaches napping consistency (as shown in the video)
- when the cream has got the right consistency, reduce the heat to low, add the chicken pieces back in the pan, cover and wait until the chicken is warmed up enough to be served.
Serving the poulet au vinaigre:
- from here you have two options: the first one is to simply put the pan on the table and have everyone to help themselves. or if you want to serve that dish on a plate or a nice dish, you can remove the chicken pieces from the sauce, pass the sauce through a sieve, put the chicken in a nice serving dish and pour over the chicken the sauce you just filtered. that way you get a clean sauce without any bits of onions garlic etc…