How to make butter from scratch
How do you make butter from scratch? Butter is a key ingredient in French cooking. Making your own French style butter is actually very easy, all you need is good quality cream and a whisk. in this video we will talk first about the origin of butter and learn how it is made and follow on with a demonstration on how to make butter from scratch.
- Good quality cream with 35 percent fat.
- 2 % of salt (based on the amount of butter used) if you want to make salted butter.
- Pour cream into a whipping bowl.
- Whip it and keep whipping. It will turn yellow. Keep whipping and eventually the yellow fat will separate from the white buttermilk.
- Remove the yellow fat and put it under cold water for a short while which will rid the butter of excess buttermilk.
- Press the butter between 2 wooden spoons to extract the moisture remaining until the right texture is attained.
- to transform you butter into a salted butter add 2 percent of fine salt over the butter once it is made then “churn it” in a stand mixer with a flat beater on low speed or work the butter by hand with two spatula or any utensil you have until all the salt is well incorporated. when done form into shape of you choice and store in the fridge covered in a closed container.
In terms of storing the butter: in the fridge for a few days or otherwise freeze it and keep it for several weeks. ( butte keeps very well frozen and does not loose any taste or flavor)