Hay baked Chicken
Poulet au Foin (Classic Hay Baked Chicken). Learn to transform a simple chicken into a show stopping recipe with this chicken cooked in hay. This recipe will give your chicken a one of a kind taste with zero fat or salt added. A unique way to cook and flavour chicken for the connoisseurs and anyone ready to get out of their comfort zone.
- 3 handfuls hay grass (fully natural non sprayed or treated). You can get this on line or in pet stores
- 1 good quality chicken (In this recipe I used a 1.5kg chicken)
- A grind of black pepper to season
- A sprinkle of rock salt to decorate
- 50 grams salted butter for the finishing touch after the chicken is cooked
For the dough used to seal the pot (not to be eaten)
- 300 grams all purpose flour
- 150ml water
Cooking time – 1 hour at 190 Celsius (374 Fahrenheit).
Cooking notes: Impress your guests by doing the chicken reveal in front of them. Put your chicken under the grill for 5 minutes (after it is cooked) if you like to lightly brown the top. Season and baste with salted butter just before serving or carving. Serve with green lettuce, saute potatoes or saute green beans or even roasted vegetables.
- Preheat the oven (fan forced) to 190C (374F)
- Line a cast iron pot with a liberal quantity of hay ensuring that a “nest” is created for the chicken to lie on and that the hay reaches all the way up the sides. Ensure also that no hay sits on the rim of the pot. Do not season the chicken.
- Make a stiff dough out of the flour and water and roll it to a length which will cover the circumference of the pot. Lay the dough to entirely cover the rim. Place the lid on top and press down firmly on it to create a tight seal.
- Place the chicken into the middle shelf of the oven and let it cook until ready – in the case of a 1.5kg chicken, 65 minutes. If the oven gives an aroma of cooked chicken, that is an indicator that the chicken is cooked. Removed it from the oven and rest it in the pot for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and take the chicken out. If desired place it under a grill for 5 minutes to colour the breast.
- Season the top with a grind of black pepper and a little rock salt and brush with the melted salted butter.
Hay baked chicken video recipe: