Fish Filet With Dugléré Sauce
This classic French fish recipe was a creation of Adolphe Dugléré which was renowned French head chef working at the Cafe Anglais in 1866 which became the most famous Paris restaurant of the 19th century. Adolphe duglere is also the creator of many world renowned dishes such as the Pomme anna, the Potage Germiny, the Poularde Albufera, dedicated to Maréchal Suchet, Duke of Albufera, the Soufflé à l’anglaise.
At the core of that dish is freshly filleted fish cooked in a fish stock made with the fish bones produce during filleting. the fish is then serve with a classic sauce vin blanc ( french white wine sauce )in which diced tomatoes and parsley have been added this amazingly flavorsome french sauce is a classic example of what can be achieved with a fresh whole fish , butter, cream , white wine and a few other ingredients .
After having tried the sauce I can confidently say that this is one of the best sauce that will accompany ant fish filet cooked using the court mouillement technique. ( which what is use in that video.)
The dugléré sauce is just hugely addictive and is guaranteed to please anyone. And this is mainly due to the fact that your palate is able to understand very easily the combination of flavors that exist in the sauce. I am just amazed to see that the combination of freshly made fish stock and everyday ingredients such as white wine, cream, butter, onions, shallots, tomatoes and parsley can transform in such fantastic tasting smooth and balanced sauce. A must try.
Useful cookware for that recipe:
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 1.2 to 1.4 kg of round fresh white fish that can be filleted ( I used Australian Flathead fish)
- 20 grams of butter
- 20 grams of shallot ( finely diced)
- 40 grams of onions ( finely diced
- 400 grams of tomatoes (skinned seeded and diced)
- 20 grams chopped parsley
- 50 ml of white wine
- 300 ml of pure cream ( heavy whipping cream)
To make the fish stock:
- 20 grams of plain butter
- 20 grams of shallots (finely diced)
- 40 grams of onions ( finely diced)
- 40 grams of carrots ( roughly diced)
- 1 small handful of mushroom trimmings
- All the fish bones you have left after filleting the fish.
- 1 bouquet Garni
- half a teaspoon of black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 200 ml of white wine
- enough water to barely cover the fish bones
For the garnish I used plain rice with a Duxelle of mushroom( optional). you can also used boiled potatoes, potato gratin, steam green beans
If you want to make the duxelle of mushroom, use the ingredients below.
- 250 of Button Mushrooms
- 30 grams of Plain unsalted butter
- 40 grams finely sliced shallots
- 40 grams finely sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped parsley
- a squeeze of lemon juice
for the instruction watch this video
Preliminary, food preparation ( mise en place)
- Start by washing peeling and cutting all of the vegetable ( see ingredients list for details)
- For the chopped tomatoes: plunge the whole tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds then take them out and plunge them in icy water. the skin should now detach easily with a knife. make sure you remove all the skin then cut them in half remove all of the seeds with a teaspoon. when done roughly chopped all the tomatoes.
- Next, wash and clean your fish, then cut all of the fins with a kitchen shears, pat the fish dry and move on to filleting each fish.
- Once done reserve the fish filet in a covered container and set aside in the fridge.
- keep the fish bones in pan with cold water ready to be used.
Step 1 prepare the fish Fumet:
- Place a large enough sauce pan on the stove on medium heat, add the butter in and let it melt untill is start foaming.
- Add all of the vegetables ( onions, shallot,carrot and mushroom trimming) and leave to cook for 2 minutes. drain the fish bones and add them all in the pan. then mix well to incorporate. The bones with
- Pour the white wine in followed by enough water to cover the fish bones 3 quarter the the way up then add in the bouquet garni the salt and pepper.
- Bring the stock to the boil then reduce the heat to low and leave the fish stock to simmer for 25 minutes uncovered.
- After 25 minutes filter the stock through a sieve into another container then leave to cool down completely.
Step 2 prepare your garnish:
While you fish stock or fumet is cooling down use that time to prepare the garnish of your choice. if you are making a duxelle of mushrooms to go with the rice ( advised) watch the video on how to make it and make it now.
Step 3 : Cook the fish:
- coat the bottom of a a deep saute pan or large stainless saucepan with butter followed by some salt an pepper. when done, sprinkle over the shallots, onions and parsley.
- Add the fish filet over the garnish (the fish filets can be placed next to each other and can slightly overlap if needed ) pour the wine in ( avoid pouring directly on the fish the filets otherwise they might turn dark), then add some cold fish stock (3 quarter the way up the fish filets).
- finally cover the fish with a circle of baking paper which will act as a lid.
- Turn now the heat on medium, and bring slowly to a simmer. as soon as the stock is simmering, transfer the pan in a preheated oven at 170 celsius and leave the fish to cook for for 5 to 6 minutes maximum. Once your fish is cooked take your pan out of the oven and get ready to make the sauce
Step 4 make the sauce:
Once your fish is out of the oven you will have to start make the sauce immediately and things have to happen quickly as your fish will starting cooling down.
- start by transferring all of the cooking juices into a clean large bottom pan( which will help greatly for the reduction.
- put the heat on high and reduce the cooking juices to a syrupy consistency ( as sown in the video)
- next add all of the cream in reduce by half until the sauce should nap a spoon easily and not be too liquid.
- finally add in the chopped tomatoes and stir gently not to color your sauce too much with the tomatoes.
- when done turn the heat off add the 20 grams of butter to the sauce and stir gently until all of the butter is well incorporated.
- the sauce is now ready and should be served immediately
Serving and plating
The fish can be serve individually on plates or in a dish.
- If served on a dish transfer all of the fish filet on a nice serving plate. arrange the fish fillet the way you like and when done pour all or most of the sauce over the fish. sprinkle the top with a bit of parsley and put the serving plate on the table. alongside the garnish of your choice in a separate serving dishes
- if served on plate you need to first add your garnish on the plate then place on or two fish filet per person depending on size ( 1 serving should be around 150 grams) then add a little bit of sauce over the filet, sprinkle with parsley and serve. If you want to use the same duxelle rice that i used, you will need to use a food stacker ring. place the food stacket ring in the center of a plate start by adding a layer of rice followed by a small layer of duxelle of mushrooms then a layer of rice again. remove the stacker ring and you should have a nice tower of my newly created duxelle rice.