Chicken Gaston Gerard
Chicken Gaston Gerard (also known as chicken Dijon) is a famous French chicken recipe dating back to the 1930s that celebrates cheese, white wine and Dijon mustard. It was created by accident (if we believe the story) by the wife of the mayor of Dijon during a dinner with the famous food critic of the time, Curnonsky, when a pot of paprika accidently fell into the dish. The chicken is cooked with paprika, then served with a cheese, white wine, cream and Dijon mustard sauce.
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1.5 kg (3 ½ lb) whole good quality chicken
- The carcass from the chicken, cut in pieces
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1-2 tablespoons paprika powder, sweet or hot as you prefer
- 150g (5.29 oz) Comte or Swiss Gruyere cheese – 100g sauce and 50g topping
- 200 ml dry white wine – Burgundy, Loire Valley or Muscadet
- 250 ml heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Cut chicken into pieces. Keep the carcass and trim the drumsticks and wings.
- In a cast iron pot on medium heat, pour oil – add butter to melt.
- Add chicken pieces, seasoning with salt and pepper. Sear until lightly coloured, 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside.
- Add carcass pieces to pot, turn heat to medium low. Arrange chicken pieces on top of carcass.
- Sprinkle paprika on top, put lid on and reduce heat to low. Cook 35-40 minutes.
- Discard carcass and place chicken pieces into a shallow pan or ovenproof dish. Cover with foil. Keep warm in oven at 60 C (140 F).
- Put pan with paprika/chicken cooking liquid on high heat and bring to boil. Add 100g cheese and stir to melt.
- Add wine and bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Add ½ cup cream and boil strongly to reduce liquid, 5-6 minutes until it reaches “spoon-coating” consistency”.
- Remove from heat, add Dijon mustard. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Pour sauce over chicken pieces. Grate remaining cheese on top, sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Broil 5-10 minutes or until light crust formed on top. Serve with French bread.
Learn to make the chicken gaston gerard with this video recipe: