Cabbage salad Burgundy style
In this series we are using home grown vegetables in simple regional recipes. Today we are making a Burgundy style cabbage salad with apple and bacon.
- 300 grams white cabbage cut into very thin strips (julienne)
- 1 apple
- 150 grams bacon (sliced into lardons)
- 1 small tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 small tablespoon sunflower oil
- 50-100ml cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- A few pinches of chives to decorate
- A nudge of butter
- Remove all the outer leaves of the cabbage. If desired, cut out the ribs of the inner leaves and then julienne those leaves after washing them.
- Make the dressing – grind salt and pepper to taste in a bowl, add the vinegar and stir in to dissolve the seasoning, add the oil and blend in and then whisk in the cream (50 ml for a small cabbage).
- Dress the cabbage and reserve in the fridge.
- Pan fry the lardons until coloured, and reserve.
- Peel and core the apple and cut into small cub es. Fry the cubes in the butter in a fresh pan and colour them in a nudge of butter on high heat.
- Remove the cabbage from the fridge and mix in the lardons and apples.
- Garnish with chopped chives, squeeze lemon juice over and give a final mix.
learn how to make this cabbage salad in video: