Beef Stroganoff with cognac
Beef Stroganoff (or Stroganov) is one of the first recipes that is taught in modern French culinary school, and for good reasons. It is simple, it uses some useful cooking techniques and it tastes great. It is not a French recipe but a bit of a mystery recipe coming from Russia. the modern version of that recipe was made famous by a French chef working at the time for the Stroganov family a. but variants of that recipe may include Vodka, tomato puree, bacon, cream, lemon, pickles, capers and parsley. The most popular variant using mushrooms has been done that way since 1891 when French chef Charles Briere presented his version at a competition in Paris. this version of recipe is the modern standard that you will find across Europe and other countries.
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4)
- 500 grams/ around 1 pound of rump steak or eye filet steaks (cut in strips)
- 250grams / half a pound of button mushrooms (finely sliced)
- 2 medium sized brown onions (finely sliced)
- 3 tablespoons cognac or white wine
- 1 tablespoon paprika (make sure it is a quality one)
- 150 ml cream (whole or heavy whipping cream)
Fat for cooking:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used sunflower oil)
- In a saute pan melt one tablespoon of oil and a nudge of butter until foaming. On a medium heat saute the onions for about 5 minutes – until they are translucent but not coloured. Reserve.
- Adding another nudge of butter, saute mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. (Again don’t brown them).
- Return the onions to the pan with the mushrooms to mix them together.
- Remove the onions and mushrooms and heat another tablespoon of oil in the pan and on medium heat, brown the meat strips, placing them in individually. Do not overcrowd the pan. Brown each side for about 2 minutes.
- Return the onions and mushrooms and mix in. Add the cognac (or white whine if preferred) and deglaze the pan.
- Add a tablespoon or more of paprika (depending on taste) and salt and pepper and mix in.
- Add cream and stir in on a low heat and simmer for a few minutes only.
- Mix in parsley and serve.
- Serve with potatoes or rice.
Beef Stroganoff video recipe: